Friday 12 July 2013

Grandphather Pharmacist

One morning on opening of the pharmacy with a female assistant, a note was left from the pharmacist from the previous night regarding the return of an item. The item was a badly dented 900g tin of S26 Gold Comfort baby formula.

The note indicated that the woman who returned the can of formula claimed to have purchased it from our pharmacy. The pharmacist, who was known for not being the sharpest tool in the shed and on the wrong side of 60 (imagine Mr Magoo), wrote in the note that he couldn’t find the product on the pharmacy’s computer system so refunded it at the price the woman said she paid for it without a receipt! That was around $24!

The assistant and I examined the can more closely and I said, “Do we even sell S26 Gold Comfort?”

My assistant checked the back office system and replied, “No. We’ve never even purchased it for the shelves!”

Reading the note further, the pharmacist explained in his writings that he felt pressured into doing the refund and that the lady has ‘probably’ conned us!

I looked at my assistant and stated, “That last sentence should read something more like, ‘I’m too old to be a pharmacist and should retire because this lady ‘canned’ me.’”

We shared a laugh.


##
But seriously, to all the old(er) pharmacists, please be more methodical when you’re in charge of someone else’s business. I actually do like working with you because, as you can see, I enjoy listening to your interesting experiences.

And to all pharmacists, learn your boundaries and be confident in your decisions. If you think it’s wrong, it probably is and just because ‘everyone else does it,’ doesn’t make it correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment