Wednesday 25 August 2010

Morning Aphter Phone Number

Late one afternoon, close to the end of my shift as a student, a young lady, maybe mid to late 20's, came in with a prescription for the morning after pill, Postinor-2. This is also known as emergency contraception (EC) with the active ingredient Levonorgestrel.

The pharmacist dispensed the prescription, and being in a learning pharmacy, handed it to me to counsel the young lady (Or maybe the pharmacist was just too lazy to do it herself?).

The young lady was fairly overweight and very talkative. In fact, I had met her on two previous occasions, one where I assisted her with an ovulation thermometer, then again in Woolworths when the pharmacy boss sent me to get her Cadbury crunch chocolate due to the boss being pregnant and having the munchies. On this occasion in Woolies, the young lady recognised me and complained about how her ovulation thermometer didn't work and would return it, but was generally happy about the pharmacy's customer service.

Anyway, back in the pharmacy I started counselling the young, overweight, talkative lady who didn't seem that interested in the information I had to offer. Probably because she said she had used it before and for some reason was more fascinated in my history as a pharmacy student, asking me numerous questions, then getting a little bit too personal and friendly for my liking by asking if I lived nearby.

I may have panicked a little as the thought came into my head she may be trying to hit on me! Then another thought, "You're (possibly) trying to hit on me when you obviously have had sex with another guy within the last three days?! And you aren't attractive!! At all!!!" (To me anyway, I've seen on documentaries many men go for that sort of thing, and I was young and superficial).

I quickly tried to finish the sale, in doing so realised it was the end of my shift, which motivated me even more to get this lady out of the shop - I had finished all the necessary counselling. The young, overweight, talkative, possibly promiscuous lady finally left then I quickly grabbed my things and took off as soon as I was able, just in case she thought she needed to come back.

And I made it out, unscathed. Phew!

The next day I arrived at the pharmacy rather relaxed, no thought of the previous days events, ready to tackle any challenges ahead. The pharmacist, same pharmacist from the previous day then said to me, "Your friend came back into the pharmacy last night after you left and asked me to pass this onto you."

"What friend?" I replied.

"Oh, that girl you sold the morning after pill to yesterday," the pharmacist handed me a slip of paper.

"Oh, great," I said, "I bet it's her phone number."

Sure enough it was.

"Oops," I said sarcastically as I dropped the paper in the rubbish, "It fell in the bin!"

"I thought you might do that," The pharmacist mentioned.

"She tried to pick me up while getting the morning after pill! Don't you think that's a little, well, slutty?" I suggested, defending my actions.

"Yeah, I guess that's fair enough."

Fair enough indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment